What you need
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (organic when possible, make sure there is no added sugar if you buy from the supermarket)
- 1 cup of chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2-3 teaspoons of xylitol (taste as you go to select desired sweetnes, can use 2 teaspoons of natvia or stevia granules)
- 80ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (cassia type)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- a good grind of sea salt and black pepper to taste
*can add a splash of wine if you desire (and the kiddies don’t mind
*a tspn of cayenne pepper is great, not too hot just a little kick (and metabolism booster).
How its done~
- Bring all the ingredients to the boil, reduce the heat and then simmer for about an hour, stirring regularly.
- Once the sauce has reduced by about half and is quite thick, blend with a bamix or in the blender, if it is still runny return to heat for a little longer.
- Store in a glass, sterilised jar in the fridge or freeze. Also use as the base in the BBQ sauce.
What you need~
- 250ml of the tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup molasses
*Stir through and blend if needed, store in glass jar in fridge for up to one month